Congleton is an ancient borough whose history goes back to Neolithic times. Its historical record dates from Domesday Book when Bigot, a Norman lord, took over the land from a Saxon, Godwine. The town development began when Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, granted Congleton its first charter in 1272. In 1972, the town celebrated its 700th anniversary with numerous events held throughout the year - a year never to be forgotten. Changes in the twentieth century resulted in mills being converted into flats and offices, so some of the past still survives. The town has expanded with housing estates on the outskirts of the town. The photographs in this book record events and changes over the years and will provide not only nostalgic memories to those who remember Congleton's past but also give newcomers an insight into why Congletonians value their town and its history.