This is the story of Kent's Garden Airfield, so called because of its location on an escarpment, overlooking Hythe and Romney Marsh. An airfield born out of necessity during the First World War. Following 1918 many record breaking flights began at Lympne. During the 1920's and 1930's, a time which saw the expansion of the RAF, civilian and RAF units shared the airfield and its facilities. Imperial Airways and other civilian airlines, often used the airfield, being on route to France. At the same time the Cinque Ports Flying Club was founded, many air races and flying displays took place. With the declaration of the Second World War on 3 Sptember 1939, it was realised that it was the ideal location for the RAF, being close to the coast. Lympne was host to many RAF units and squadrons during the war. When peace came private flying returned and later airlines such as Silver City and Skways operated their services to Europe. Flying continued into the early 1970's, but following closure, the airfield was developed and industrial units constructed, little remains today of this once important airfield.