John Nichols's monumental History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, completed in 1815, is the largest of the English county histories of the eighteenth century. The engraved plates that illustrate the work so liberally depict a multitude of objects of historical interest including churches with their monuments and furniture, houses and coats of arms in a quantity never approached in a work of this kind before, and rarely since. Despite the inevitable inaccuracies in such a massive undertaking, Nichols is arguably the most-consulted text on Leicestershire in the twenty-first century. It is still the first source to be consulted by any historian researching the history of the area. Every library in the city and county has a set of Nichols. Although a Londoner, Nichols had strong connections with the Herrick family of Beaumanor Hall in Leicestershire. The poet Robert Herrick is of this family. The Herricks were also the purchasers of the Grey Friars in Leicester after the Dissolution, which included the grave of Richard III. Lost Leicestershire compares churches, manors and other buildings illustrated by Nichols with the same locations today.