Sendes vanligvis innen 7-15 dager
Whitehaven grew on coal. The town was expanded after a pier was built in 1634 by the Lowther family. A steam engine was built here in 1715 to pump water from the mines, which were some of the deepest in Europe in the 1700s. Major accidents, killing hundreds, occurred at Wellington William and Haig collieries. Haig pit was the last to close, in 1986, soon after the disastrous miners' strike finished. Alan Routledge, who has compiled many books on Whitehaven, takes us through the history of mining in the town, using photographs old and new to show the contrast between the industry of the past and the town of today, and how it has recovered from the loss of the mining industry.